I have recently finished a larger quilt, which is to be donated, but it deserves a post of its own at a later date once it has been handed over. In the meantime I am working on a couple of projects, a batik sampler quilt for myself and some blocks for a quilting bee.
I haven't been in a bee for a while and am really enjoying this one. The briefs are not too demanding but are challenging enough to make them interesting and are based on the theme of scraps and solids. Here are the completed months so far:
Sprouts block: We had to make 4 sprouts as they are rectangles rather than squares. I chose to do pink, dark blue, light blue and purple.
While waiting for the next set of instructions I moved onto the samples for my month - a woven block. This is a pretty easy design to make but I wanted (and want the others) to play with light and dark - especially in the use of the 2 purple "ribbons". I think it will look really effective and clean when all put together.
The second pair showcases some beautiful Anna Maria Horner scraps I had left over from the special quilt I just completed (the fabric is from the "Innocent Crush" line) and some citrus coloured fabrics from my stash. In case you didn't get the citrus theme the centre block is a lemon print. :) I don't often work with these colours but was inspired after trying them out in another block of the month...which brings me to...
PMQG meetings someone chooses a block for everyone to make from this book. This month was Alleyways. For some reason, I think because our lemon, lime and orange trees are in fruit, I thought a citrus theme would be nice.
I love a good block when I need a quick sewing pick me up. They provide a lovely little opportunity to try out a new design or play with colours not normally chosen.